I just made these, I put them in the oven, then ran down to McDonalds and got a couple cheeseburgers. Turned out brown, and very crispy.
I use these when I want a cheap “Happy Meal”. I’ll fix the fries, put them in the oven, then run down to McDonalds or Church’s, then come back and they will be just done. Saves money, and makes a LOT of fries.
You might cut down on the baking time. I cooked some today for 30 minutes, and they were VERY crispy. Crunchy. These are crispier than deep fried. A little much. Next time a shorter cook time, and/or lower temp.
Go light on the corn starch. I might use only a teaspoon next time. I used a heaping, big tablespoon on the last batch.
Here is a quick guide to the recipe on the link above:
Preheat the oven to 400F
- Cut up spuds, then nuke them in Microwave for 5min or so.
- The Microwave almost cooks them clear through.
- Put 4-5 tablespoons oil in large bowl.
- Pat the Microwaved fries dry. (I always skip this)
- Put cornstarch in the oil in the bowl. (go light)
- Mix it into a slurry.
- Toss fries in the slurry..coating them well.
- Put in oven on flat pan, so they are not stuck together.
- Cook for 20-30 min.
They will get crispy all right! The more the cornstarch, the crispier they will get, and a lot of corn starch gets them TOO crispy. Keep checking them. The last 2 batches I overdid mine.